Class Act Gentlemen's Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where a man can be a man

+4
Meow
Karl
KCLU
DopeMasterJFlow
8 posters

Tax Cuts

Karl
    Karl
    Admin

Tax Cuts - Page 3 Empty Re: Tax Cuts

Post  Karl Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:19 pm

I brought up symbiotic relationships in nature as a "natural" example of a situation in which the strong and the weak benefit mutually from their relationship.

I agree that Bill Gates is a good example of a rich person mostly doing the right thing with his power. I think when you reach the wealth of a Bill Gates you essentially become a political entity unto yourself and I think we are all culturally responsible for having certain expectations of corporate superpowers like Microsoft, Walmart, etc. I think the expectations we have of how incredibly rich organizations spend their money should all be pretty similar, since we are basically living in a symbiotic relationship with these companies at this point.

I see this whole issue in cultural terms more than political. I think the law/political policy itself is limited in what it can do to make the world better, it has to be a collective, cultural thing, which should be where laws come from anyway.
    The Rebirth
    The Rebirth

Post  The Rebirth Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:30 pm

I wonder what the people browsing this forum must think. hahaha
    Karl
    Karl
    Admin

Post  Karl Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:42 pm

i wonder what google bot thinks.
    DopeMasterJFlow
    DopeMasterJFlow
    Admin

Post  DopeMasterJFlow Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm

Karl wrote:i wonder what google bot thinks.

If you google "class act gentlemen's club forum" we are the fourth result! That's what he thinks of us.
    KCLU
    KCLU
    Admin

Post  KCLU Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:18 pm

Lars wrote:
    KCLU wrote:in full
    From your previous post, how can you agree with that? It seems as if you would think the government isn't doing nearly enough.
    I think its doing too much stuff in some areas and not enough in others, is all.
    Lars
    Lars

Post  Lars Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:46 pm

KCLU wrote:
    Lars wrote:
    KCLU wrote:in full
    From your previous post, how can you agree with that? It seems as if you would think the government isn't doing nearly enough.
    I think its doing too much stuff in some areas and not enough in others, is all.

Ok, understood. I misread that. I think we all agree that our foreign policy spending is out of control. Yes?

And there is nothing fair in a progressive income tax and a redistribution of wealth can be achieved much more handily and efficiently through a free market. The administrative costs that go into the government alone are crippling. Why not allow for people to keep all their wages and tax on what is consumed?

Its the same for property taxes.

People are being punished for working, the income tax, and people are being punished for owning things like houses, property taxes. How is that at all morally right?
    KCLU
    KCLU
    Admin

Post  KCLU Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:25 pm

you're using the word "punishment," but something I believe is that a person isn't really "punished" unless their quality of life goes down, or their ability to self-actualize is diminished, and there are people in this country who wouldn't suffer such losses under a steep progressive income tax.

I'm sure you've read a lot more about tax schemes, much more than me, but a progressive income tax seems a great deal more fair than, say, a flat tax, because the basic needs of the poor account for a huge proportion of their total income, while the basic needs of the rich constitute a very small proportion of their total income.
    KCLU
    KCLU
    Admin

Post  KCLU Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:25 pm

whats your ideal tax scheme?

and how have your experiences in Norway informed your positions, I wonder?
    Lars
    Lars

Post  Lars Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:20 am

KCLU wrote:whats your ideal tax scheme?

and how have your experiences in Norway informed your positions, I wonder?

My ideal tax system would be a consumption based sales tax. Say a 15-20% federal sales tax. Very "fair", completely at will due to it being in what is consumed, and very little administrative costs involved.

And do not let me get started on taxes in Norway. you see about 25-30% of what your wages are for. Its a completely state run economy with very little free market and therefor very little freedom.
    KCLU
    KCLU
    Admin

Post  KCLU Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:53 pm

Lars wrote:My ideal tax system would be a consumption based sales tax. Say a 15-20% federal sales tax. Very "fair", completely at will due to it being in what is consumed, and very little administrative costs involved.
    at first glance this doesn't seem to get around a problem I brought up earlier, unless food and clothing (and other essential goods) aren't taxed. if not, yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable! I could get behind that.

Lars wrote:And do not let me get started on taxes in Norway. you see about 25-30% of what your wages are for. Its a completely state run economy with very little free market and therefor very little freedom.
    !! okay, here is something I think is totally misguided, the equation of economic freedom with freedom-in-general.

you would argue that people in the lowest tax bracket have more freedom than people in the top tax bracket, in the U.S.?
    Lars
    Lars

Post  Lars Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:15 am

KClu, I promise I will respond to this tomorrow, I am too drunk tonight. haha. love you kiddo. I do have quite a bit of explanation.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 am