Class Act Gentlemen's Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where a man can be a man

+4
Karl
David McSingleton
KCLU
K$tu
8 posters

what to say to haters of wiki

K$tu
    K$tu

what to say to haters of wiki Empty what to say to haters of wiki

Post  K$tu Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:07 pm

I went to a job interview, and the subject of Wikipedia came up. The hiring manager said that he hates Wikipedia, but admits that it's good if you want to get someone's opinion on something. I wanted to slap the mother fucker, because who doesn't like a world of free information? This is besides the fact that it's best to take info from anywhere with a grain of salt, unless it's the Bible or Jesse Newman. So anyways I'm wondering what ya'll would have to say to the face of the man who disses Wiki
    KCLU
    KCLU
    Admin

what to say to haters of wiki Empty Re: what to say to haters of wiki

Post  KCLU Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:09 pm

one of my Facebook interests for a long time was "restraining anger at people who diss Wikipedia." it was a huge peeve.
    K$tu
    K$tu

Post  K$tu Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:12 pm

I cannot understand how Wiki inspires negative feelings, unless maybe you're somehow trying to use it wrong
    David McSingleton
    David McSingleton

Post  David McSingleton Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:34 pm

i would cock punch anyone who dissis wiki then stare them in the face with this expressions

Unhappy Matt
    David McSingleton
    David McSingleton

Post  David McSingleton Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:47 pm

i still cannot think of a logical reason to hate Wikipedia or any wiki site. sure i guess a douchebag can post a bunch of false information but isn't that what site administrators are for, Wikipedia seems to do a good job of cleaning out the crap and for the most part i trust what i read on that site is true. other wiki's who knows, again its the responsibility of the end user to promote good internet practices correct incorrect posts and report to administrators about abuse.
    KCLU
    KCLU
    Admin

Post  KCLU Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:07 pm

David McSingleton wrote:sure i guess a douchebag can post a bunch of false information but isn't that what site administrators are for, Wikipedia seems to do a good job of cleaning out the crap and for the most part i trust what i read on that site is true.
    I remember when a friend's boyfriend edited the "Moby" article, just throwing in mockeries, and in about two minutes it was removed and he received a warning from the site threatening a permanent ban.

so even the Moby article has dozens of people who are immediately emailed upon updates and will quickly verify any as truthful/useful or not.
    KCLU
    KCLU
    Admin

Post  KCLU Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:08 pm

its a brilliant system is what it is.
    Karl
    Karl
    Admin

Post  Karl Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:16 pm

Yeah, it immediately made any "real" encyclopedia obsolete. People who diss Wikipedia don't acknowledge that every single book in history was made by fallible individuals. Wikipedia has so many incredibly obvious advantages over physical reference sources.

I'd say the only danger with it is becoming too over-confident in it and feeling as if from reading only it you can gain expertise in certain areas. But that is the danger of anyone unwilling to do real research into something.

Wikipedia is an awesome source for information. But that said, I think actual books are still better for learning about most things, both because of the amount of work that goes into them and the fact that they don't have to attempt to remain objective, so they can put forth a point of view, which I think is a lot more "nourishing" to the brain.
    David McSingleton
    David McSingleton

Post  David McSingleton Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:21 pm

Karl wrote:I'd say the only danger with it is becoming too over-confident in it and feeling as if from reading only it you can gain expertise in certain areas. But that is the danger of anyone unwilling to do real research into something.

very true, i remember always being so pissed i couldn't site it as a source for school papers. though of course i understand why
    KCLU
    KCLU
    Admin

Post  KCLU Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:24 pm

one thing I like about books > Wikipedia is that books don't have twelve tabs on the top threatening to steal my attention away.
    KCLU
    KCLU
    Admin

Post  KCLU Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:24 pm

there is F11 though..
    Karl
    Karl
    Admin

Post  Karl Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:28 pm

KCLU wrote:one thing I like about books > Wikipedia is that books don't have twelve tabs on the top threatening to steal my attention away.

so true. the feeling of reading a actual physical book is SO different, partially b/c of this. i think it also has to do with the quality of light that bounces off the pages vs the light of a screen.
    David McSingleton
    David McSingleton

Post  David McSingleton Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:33 pm

yes, reading to much on comp screen gives me a headache, may have something to do with the screen refreshing so fast, eyes cant see it but i'm sure my brain hates it.
    Meow
    Meow
    Admin

Post  Meow Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:37 pm

David McSingleton wrote:
    Karl wrote:I'd say the only danger with it is becoming too over-confident in it and feeling as if from reading only it you can gain expertise in certain areas. But that is the danger of anyone unwilling to do real research into something.

very true, i remember always being so pissed i couldn't site it as a source for school papers. though of course i understand why

Fuck that. Wikipedia cites there sources in the articles, I just take what I need and cite from the sources at the bottom.
    Karl
    Karl
    Admin

Post  Karl Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Meow wrote:
    David McSingleton wrote:

Fuck that. Wikipedia cites there sources in the articles, I just take what I need and cite from the sources at the bottom.

yeah, i did that all the time.
    David McSingleton
    David McSingleton

Post  David McSingleton Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:54 pm

well im just a big gay retard then.. Unhappy Matt
    Karl
    Karl
    Admin

Post  Karl Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:58 pm

*adds David McSingleton to the Big Gay Retard wiki page*
    Meow
    Meow
    Admin

Post  Meow Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Happy Matt
    |<311y
    |<311y

Post  |<311y Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Karl wrote:
    Meow wrote:
    David McSingleton wrote:

yeah, i did that all the time.

Damn, I always check out the books/find the articles that they cite. It never occurred to me to skip that step...
    KCLU
    KCLU
    Admin

Post  KCLU Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:21 pm

what to say to haters of wiki Oops-doh
    Newmantopia
    Newmantopia

Post  Newmantopia Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:35 pm

Kev, im not at all like the bible. when you let ME into your heart, you'll be saved.
    DopeMasterJFlow
    DopeMasterJFlow
    Admin

Post  DopeMasterJFlow Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:33 pm

Wikipedia is an amazing thing. When I can I even donate to them. Even when it comes to science, Wikipedia serves as a great sit for an overview of even complex molecular biology. The beauty of it, is that it is literally an average of what everyone holds to be correct.

I think that the reason Wikipedia is shunned in a academic setting is because Wikipedia supports the notion of free knowledge which is contrary to any academic institution.
    K$tu
    K$tu

Post  K$tu Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:59 pm

The asshole that was shunning Wiki was an MBA business student, and I think he was shunning it from the business student's perspective.

Unrelated but kinda funny: For some reason, at this company they hold typing speed to be a valuable asset in their employees, so they test the speed of every applicant. And for some other reason, the wiki-hating hiring manager had the highest typing speed in the whole company. I don't mean to brag because I'm sure some of you are probably faster than me, but my score beat his by 5 w.p.m. Needless to say I think this 5 w.p.m. was the straw that broke the camel's back for me getting hired at this company.
    K$tu
    K$tu

Post  K$tu Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:00 pm

KCLU wrote:what to say to haters of wiki Oops-doh
    David McSingleton
    David McSingleton

Post  David McSingleton Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:39 pm

K$tu wrote:The asshole that was shunning Wiki was an MBA business student, and I think he was shunning it from the business student's perspective.

i still don't get it, i was a business student and always found quick and accessible information to be a great asset, sounds like this guys is just a good ol' fashion cock.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:02 pm