Class Act Gentlemen's Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where a man can be a man

5 posters

books that have had a huge impact on you

Karl
    Karl
    Admin

books that have had a huge impact on you Empty books that have had a huge impact on you

Post  Karl Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Henry Miller comes to mind because Jeff is reading him.

Tropic of Cancer
    Tropic of Capricorn

both super awesome.

I started reading Black Spring and did not like it, though. I think its easy for his style to turn into a cliche. Stick with the Tropics imo.

books that have had a huge impact on you Empty Re: books that have had a huge impact on you

Post  Guest Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:06 pm

Hollywood - Charles Bukowski

Only because I really want to have a career out there and it was cool reading about it from a legitimate writer's perspective.
    DopeMasterJFlow
    DopeMasterJFlow
    Admin

books that have had a huge impact on you Empty Re: books that have had a huge impact on you

Post  DopeMasterJFlow Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:57 pm

I second the Tropic of Cancer vote. A true classic.

I would also add the Island by Aldous Huxley which maybe one of the best philosophical novels ever written.
    K$tu
    K$tu

Post  K$tu Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:53 pm

I think that I will probably spend years re-reading "Infinite Jest." When I feel like I need to read (something great), starting with any of its pages is the best way to satisfy that hunger
    Karl
    Karl
    Admin

Post  Karl Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:57 pm

yeah, its one of those books i feel like i'm always carrying around in the pit of my stomach. i have so much love for it i can't even express it. at this stage in my life it is my favorite book ever.
    Karl
    Karl
    Admin

Post  Karl Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:58 pm

almost as much love for Supposedly Fun Thing, Oblivion, and Brief Inteviews, too
    The Rebirth
    The Rebirth

Post  The Rebirth Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:51 am

I just read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo recently. It did not impact me profoundly.
    DopeMasterJFlow
    DopeMasterJFlow
    Admin

Post  DopeMasterJFlow Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:41 pm

The Rebirth wrote:I just read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo recently. It did not impact me profoundly.

There is a movie based on this book now, right?
    The Rebirth
    The Rebirth

Post  The Rebirth Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm pretty sure they have three movies to match the three books put out by the Swedes. However,there is an American trilogy in the works!
    KCLU
    KCLU
    Admin

Post  KCLU Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:42 pm

as discussed in the Chomsky/Israel thread: Understanding Power
    KCLU
    KCLU
    Admin

Post  KCLU Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:53 pm

surprised it didn't come to mind immediately - The Denial of Death!

from the wiki:
    The basic premise of The Denial of Death is that human civilization is ultimately an elaborate, symbolic defense mechanism against the knowledge of our mortality, which in turn acts as the emotional and intellectual response to our basic survival mechanism. Becker argues that a basic duality in human life exists between the physical world of objects and a symbolic world of human meaning. Thus, since man has a dualistic nature consisting of a physical self and a symbolic self, man is able to transcend the dilemma of mortality through heroism, a concept involving his symbolic half. By embarking on what Becker refers to as an "immortality project" (or causa sui), in which he creates or becomes part of something which he feels will last forever, man feels he has "become" heroic and, henceforth, part of something eternal; something that will never die, compared to his physical body that will die one day. This, in turn, gives man the feeling that his life has meaning; a purpose; significance in the grand scheme of things.

From this premise, mental illness is most insightfully extrapolated as a bogging down in one's hero system(s). When someone is experiencing depression, their causa sui (or heroism project) is failing, and they are being consistently reminded of their mortality and insignificance as a result. Schizophrenia is a step further than depression in which one's causa sui is falling apart, making it impossible to engender sufficient defense mechanisms against their mortality; henceforth, the schizophrenic has to create their own reality or "world" in which they are better heroes. Becker argues that the conflict between immortality projects which contradict each other (particularly in religion) is the wellspring for the destruction and misery in our world caused by wars, bigotry, genocide, racism, nationalism, and so forth, since an immortality project which contradicts others indirectly suggests that the others are wrong.

Another theme running throughout the book is that humanity's traditional "hero-systems" i.e. religion, are no longer convincing in the age of reason; science is attempting to solve the problem of man, something that Becker feels it can never do. The book states that we need new convincing "illusions" that enable us to feel heroic in the grand scheme of things, i.e. immortal. Becker, however, does not provide any definitive answer, mainly because he believes that there is no perfect solution. Instead, he hopes that gradual realization of man's innate motivations, namely death, can help to bring about a better world.
    I consider ^^^ every day.

another one, should be obvious: Animal Liberation by Peter Singer.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:45 pm